Job Description

Oil Financial Analyst

 

When I tell most people that I was a financial analyst for a local oil company over the summer, they always look at me weirdly. There is always a controversial stigma that comes when mentioning oil companies. Some applaud, infatuated by the field while others look at me with disgust. Regardless, I am always excited to explain what I did for the company and what they stand for.

 

A Financial Analyst for CalNRG is a very broad term. What I mean by this, is that was my official title. However, there were many things I oversaw or had a significant say in. There are several aspects of oil I was not sure I would get my hands on, yet being their first intern, I did anything and everything. After recently acquiring a new company there were many things, they needed to get clean and usable for data reference.

 

With that broad title, I would sum up the three most important things I did for the oil company as

 

·      Production

·      Organization

·      Engineering

 

With all those above areas, I will go into depth about my exact role.

 

Production

There are two specific areas to investigate when referring to Production:

 

·      Production/oil tickets

·      Injection

 

The definition of production for oil is the number of barrels that produced at each location which is also provided an estimation of future production. Additionally, oil tickets refer to the number of barrels transported and moved through an oil tanker. This shows the completion of an order and the confirmation that the trucks are carrying the right amount away from the oil sites. In correlation with production, we have injection numbers referring to the injection of chemical solutions to help improve oil quality and help with damage resulting from the pumping of the oil. This set was very important because it provided data on how our company was working to make sure they were adhering to all environmental regulations. A misconception about oil companies is they are terrible for the environment. They may be true overseas, but here in the US, there are many regulations that oil companies must work with to be able to operate. Both sets of data would come to me daily where I would report the findings on an excel sheet and signify whether we are on track for the day or behind schedule. These numbers would come to me either by email or updated on a separate spreadsheet where I would have to transfer the data over.

 

Organization

This role was the most frequent of all the tasks I had to keep on track. There are two specific areas I organized:

 

·      Master vendor list

·      Master vehicle list

 

Both spreadsheets were very vital to the smooth operation of the company. After acquiring the new company while simultaneously facilitating the transition into one company the organization of these two areas was a must. I had a master vendor list that was five years out of date. I had to figure out which vendors we were still in contact with and get in touch with them to acquire documents that were very far out of date. I was able to narrow the list to 283 vendors out of 564. I had to receive documents such as master service agreements (MSA), credit applications, and certificates of liability insurance (COI). All these documents were important to the company because they showed proof of work and insurance if something happened. Moving now to the master vehicle list, it had a jumble of cars, and zero organization to them. I was able to reorganize the vehicles into a comprehensive spreadsheet showcasing the location of the car, who the driver was, VIN #, and license plate. In addition to this, I created a spreadsheet for a lock box that housed all of the additional keys to the cars. Instead of a challenging process to find a key, it was quick and efficient now.

 

Engineering

The last main element of my internship I oversaw was completely designing a file storage facility out of an old office building. There was a rundown building we acquired through the recent purchase. We had 653 boxes that needed storage. Once placed in charge of this I went to the location and mapped out an area of the building that would be able to hold this number of boxes in a usable way. After putting a proposal together, I had to present my pitch on what to do to the company's three partners. After the proposal passed, I went through more research that would then allow me to get an estimate of what the potential cost of this project would be. After that one was then passed, I was able to get the project going and completed just before I had to leave and go back to school. This was by far the most power I had at an internship which was a very exciting moment for me. This was my first exposure to engineering for work. As said prior this role of Financial Analyst was a title that merely stood as a name and was only partially true.

 

Passive Sentences: 0

Flesch Reading Ease: 59.1

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 9.8

Comments

  1. Hi Blake, to be very honest I didn't know much about the oil industry nor the role of a financial advisor in one but this blog post explained it well. This would be better if you explained some of the jargon that you used. But overall, great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Blake - thought addressing the social concerns around working in an oil company was smart, and you did a great job at dispelling any misconceptions that all oil companies are bad. It sounds a lot more exciting than the title of the position alone might have implied; it sounds more like an intern at a startup than what many would first associate with the words "oil company" which is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking on a position with an oil company is actually really cool. It's out of the ordinary and makes you stand out. Organizing the vendor and vehicle lists took a lot of patience, I'm sure, but probably taught you a lot about spreadsheets. I wish I had some engineer experience...that last part of your description sounds rigorous but also fun and creative/innovative

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment