Book 2 Post 2
The Wayfinders
This book was a very enjoyable read. I have always had an adventurous side to myself and this book did a great job of reaching that part of me. Additionally, the book was structured in a way that allowed for several stories to be told and did not make it confusing. This book allowed for separate but similar stories to be told in a manner that aligned with the theme but gave a completely different perspective. Now I will talk about two of the stories that really made me like the book.
The first story I really enjoyed was about the “Peoples of the Anaconda”. This story takes place in the Amazon rain forest and deals with different tribes that have lived in seclusion there due to the strict regulations to preserve the rain forest. We get to experience firsthand what he is seeing and how he is interacting with these tribes. What is really cool is that we get to hear about the different ways they do similar tasks to us, especially how they use the land around them. Seeing how these tribes have been able to remain hidden as well as thrive in these dense forests is just incredible.
The second story I found interesting was called “Sacred Geography”. This section dealt with groups of people and how the land around them was culturally important to them. An example used by Wade takes place in British Columbia where forests and rivers have been affected by local mining companies. It was super interesting to see how people's beliefs can relate so much to their surroundings. The last part of this section in the book deals with tribes from the Sierra Nevada of Columbia and how there are super strong relationships formed with the ecology. Both of these tribes have explained that industrial progress is not always beneficial for humanity.
Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book and feel as if I had gone on an adventure with Wade. Hearing how many of these tribes have a super close relationship with the environment surrounding them is something I feel is so cool because after living in a city you begin to lose connection with the environment around you.
Hey Blake,
ReplyDeleteI considered choosing The Wayfinders but decided on another one. I'm glad to hear the book sparked your adventurous side. It's crazy to me how much there is within the deep parts of the Amazon.
Hey Blake, I also The Wayfinders and I found it similarly enjoyable. The author does touch on a wide range of issues regarding how colonizers affected indigenous cultures. And I agree with you, it does feel like the author took us on a journey, carefully explaining the topography and the people. Like a really well-educated tour guide. Well done.
ReplyDeleteIt seemed like people tended to really enjoy this book, so i may have to give it a read! I'm glad this book was able to sucesfully capture your attention
ReplyDeleteConnection to the land we live on is so often lost in today's hyper-industrialized society. I first realized this when learning about the Native American population who first inhabited the land that is now Los Angeles County. Glad to see your book addressed some of these themes - great post!
ReplyDelete