Random Post
Random Blog Post
For a random blog post, I knew exactly the topic to talk about. That would be snowboarding. Snowboarding is a passion of mine that I conveniently picked up in high school because I felt that I was missing out on the adventure that came with it. When I was little I skied a few times, but never really loved it because I felt that there was little interaction with snow. I know that might sound weird but I knew I would be having more fun if I was falling in the snow more often. The perfect solution was to begin snowboarding because, trust me, you end up in the snow quite frequently. So the thing is, my family all skiis so I had no people to teach me how to snowboard. Therefore, I took the liberty of teaching myself. I thought that since I was a surfer and a skateboarder it could not be too hard. Luckily, it turns out I was right and was able to pick it up pretty quickly. This day ignited my passion.
Some may ask why this sport is such a passion of mine and my answer is always simple. I have always enjoyed nature and found the mountains a beautiful place. To be though, there is nothing more beautiful than the mountains covered in snow. Yes, the sport of snowboarding is quite the adrenaline rush but I really enjoy snowboarding off the trail and going through the trees to find a beautiful lookout spot. I often find myself riding back country which refers to off-trail and into the trees. The areas back there are often untouched and you are seeing things that not many people see. The snow off-trail is also what people refer to as powder which means it is very light and thick. This is arguably the best type of snow to ride in because it is super smooth.
Another element of snowboarding that makes it my favorite thing to do is the social aspect. I have become so close with so many friends because while on the lifts and riding on the mountain there is so much time to converse with the people you are with. Additionally, it is a shared passion that has so many elements to it. Frequently, my friends and I will bring sandwiches with us while we ride and we will find a secluded place to hang out on the mountain and eat. That is usually accompanied by a speaker and building our own jump out of snow. It has been amazing getting into snowboarding because I have convinced many of my friends to start as well and they have found it to be wonderful. With the season approaching, I am almost giddy waiting to be on the slopes.
Blake, as an avid snow boarder/skiier myself, I enjoyed reading your post. I also love the social aspect of snowboarding and how it brings everyone together. A question I had for you was what is your dream place to go snowboarding?
ReplyDeleteI really loved hearing about how you got into snowboarding. I skied a few times when I was little and hated it. Two years ago, I went on a ski trip and tried snowboarding for the first time and really loved it!
ReplyDeleteHi Blake, it's nice to read about snowboarding because it's been a while for me since I went skiing. I mostly ski, but I have tried snowboarding and I think it was a little bit too painful experience for me so I decided to keep skiing (never ask your friends to teach you something like that, especially when all of you are in middle school). Really nice post, maybe it will finally motivate me to look for a chance to go back to skiing this winter.
ReplyDeleteHey Blake, as someone who likes to snowboard too, this was a cool read. We both like snowboarding for a lot of the same reasons. I'm definitely trying to go this winter!
ReplyDelete