World We Imagine
World We Imagine
Without a doubt, this quote is something that comes with so much behind it. If you are someone who has not been super exposed to the world around you it is hard to believe that much of the world is not similar to the freedoms we enjoy here in America. It is very hard to wrap your head around the idea that other parts of the world can be so different and completed disrespect basic human rights that all people should have. In the quote it references the entire world and how we as humanity need to work towards a planet where everyone is created equal. Part of the question here is where do we even begin with how to work towards this goal. The first thing that comes to mind is educated people on freedom and what that looks like. If everyone was educated then there would be a goal at hand for everyone to fight for. In those places where basic human rights are not acknowledged, there will be people who can speak and fight for those. Additionally, education at schools is another great step in the right direction because then kids will be brought up with ideology in their head that everyone is equal. Explaining this to young children will help shape them and their thoughts towards freedom.
After graduation the next steps are to follow your passion and achieve the goals you set for yourself. This part of life is where the most uncertainty usually follows. As for myself it is the first time I do not have a set path in front of me. I am excited and nervous at the same time because I know great things are ahead but I am not very sure what those things will be. I feel as if many people are frightened by "the real world" which is perfectly okay, however I think it is like a fresh slate so I am looking forward to approaching whatever it is that is next for me.
Hi Blake, great post. I agree with you that education is the key to solving the wealth gap, and for solving the many inequities in society. I think that something we can do as a first step is to get involved in activism for education legislation, that would increase funding for those that need it. I think money is a big determinant of how well a school/student does, and therefore by increasing funding and letting people receive the best education that they can, we would be putting them on a path to success that they would be able to then go and be "free."
ReplyDeleteHey Blake
ReplyDeleteI think we can all agree that we should strive for universal freedom. The issue, however, is that freedom to me is not the same as freedom to others—for example, those in the middle east may not agree with my definition of freedom of human rights.The problem comes with defining freedom. This is a challenging problem; the answer will differ for every region worldwide. But I believe you are on the right track; freedom comes with access to transparent information.
The best approach to this is to build a platform that allows people to gain access to data or information without filters, enabling everyone to evaluate the information critically, look beyond the narrative being pushed, and create a path to unconditional freedom.
Hey Blake, great post. I definitely agree with you in that providing better access to education will help create a more developed sense of equality. For me, that liberating feeling of having an abundance of opportunity is definitely attributable to the opportunities that come from my education. So many people are lacking that fresh slate sentiment and are cooped up in a job that doesn’t interest them, but does pay the bills. I think that one way to accomplish this is by providing schools and teachers better funding. Also, many kids see school as a waste of time, so I think a program that could show kids the true value of an education would be another viable option. This could display all the benefits they get from completing their degree and pursuing higher education.
ReplyDelete